Conceptis Forums

Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List 

Need help with a Very Hard Skyscraper.

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [PUZZLE FANS] >> The Puzzle Room >> Need help with a Very Hard Skyscraper. Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Need help with a Very Hard Skyscraper. - 9/27/2016 11:51:03 PM   
Ahlyis

I've been trying to get better at Skyscrapers lately. I can now handle easy and medium with good consistency and am getting better at hard and very hard, but this one has me completely stumped. I've barely got any numbers in at all and I just cannot find anything to even work from really.

What am I missing. What number can someone put in and using what logic?

Attachment (1)
Post #: 1
RE: Need help with a Very Hard Skyscraper. - 9/29/2016 4:49:00 AM   
Mal

Hi Ahylis

It's been a while since I last solved Skyscrapers - had a stage of overkill, then got worn out! So it was fun having a go with this puzzle.

I went straight for the 6s, looking for possible placements. The first few numbers I got were in Row six. The 7 is going to be in Column six or seven (equally for Row seven). As Row six has five buildings, possibilities for the 6 are Columns four-seven. Looking at the bottom clues, Row six, Column four sees five buildings, so the 6 can't go there. Column 5 sees two buildings, so the 6 can't go there without creating three visible buildings. In Column six, two buildings are seen from the top. The 6 can't go there, knowing that the 7 must be there or in Row seven. So the 6 is placed in Column seven. That will then give you the remaining 7s. You should then also be able to place the 5 in Row 6.

From that point I found more 6s and 5s and then worked downwards, marking the 4s, etc. It took a while then to finish, as my brain goes to sleep when there are lots of pencil marks, but it worked out in the end.

Hope I've helped, without rambling too much. I now have the urge to do more Skyscrapers!

(in reply to Ahlyis)
Post #: 2
RE: Need help with a Very Hard Skyscraper. - 9/29/2016 6:46:52 PM   
Ahlyis

I see exactly what you mean about the 6 in row 6.

Awesome. Thank you.

EDIT: My results are now skewing the average time unfairly. I had to start over due to a bunch of pencil marks that I had saved, but which were messing me up. After restarting, I finished the puzzle in only 18 minutes, well under both the average time and the amount of time I really spent on this puzzle. ;)

< Message edited by Ahlyis -- 9/29/2016 7:26:27 PM >

(in reply to Mal)
Post #: 3
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [PUZZLE FANS] >> The Puzzle Room >> Need help with a Very Hard Skyscraper. Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode