Conceptis Forums

Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List 

Stuck on a Very Hard PicAPix

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [PUZZLE FANS] >> Puzzle Support >> Stuck on a Very Hard PicAPix Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Stuck on a Very Hard PicAPix - 12/11/2014 5:04:04 PM   
arik_iis

I think I am stuck hard, and require some new technique to continue... I checked a few times - nothing obvious pops into my mind...

Anyone has a clue for me?

Thanks,
Arik

Attachment (1)
Post #: 1
RE: Stuck on a Very Hard PicAPix - 12/11/2014 9:42:24 PM   
CharleneTX

Look again at the 6th row from the bottom (4 3 6 3 1 3 1 1). You should be able to fill in another square of the "6".

Charlene

(in reply to arik_iis)
Post #: 2
RE: Stuck on a Very Hard PicAPix - 12/12/2014 1:53:04 PM   
arik_iis

Love you !!!
That's all I needed to finish the puzzle.
I swear I checked that place a few times (hence identified the dot to the left of the single blacked square), but kept missing the fact I can add another black square...
I guess this is the nature of 'very hard' puzzles - you miss one point, and you're stuck.

Thank's god for internet friends - hey, I recall your name, so I am SURE you already pulled me out of these dead-end holes at least once in the past.
Thanks !
owe you one

Arik

< Message edited by arik_iis -- 12/12/2014 1:56:13 PM >

(in reply to CharleneTX)
Post #: 3
RE: Stuck on a Very Hard PicAPix - 1/2/2015 2:51:51 AM   
vessago

Hi there, I am stuck and I would need a hint how to continue the following hard Pic-a-Pix puzzle. I like to solve all kinds of puzzles here but the most difficult type is certainly Pic-a-Pix. Are there any general hints or help for solving them besides patience and scrutiny?

Thank in advance. You can also PM me.
Gergő

PS.: I hope I can upload the picture.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to arik_iis)
Post #: 4
RE: Stuck on a Very Hard PicAPix - 1/2/2015 4:56:39 AM   
CharleneTX

Often it's a matter of needing to walk away from the puzzle for a while (even a few days). It's easy to miss the next play when you've been looking at it too long.

Re-count the boxes for columns 34 (13 4 11 1) and 40 (4 4 7 6 1 5 1). You should be able to fill in more boxes of the 13, 11, and 7.

If you're still not seeing it, feel free to ask again.

Charlene

(in reply to vessago)
Post #: 5
RE: Stuck on a Very Hard PicAPix - 1/3/2015 7:36:02 AM   
arik_iis

...if I may add to Charlene's note (who, undoubtely, had the sharpest eyes of all): the 'law' of symmetry:
for the same column 34 (13 4 11 1), once you've determined the uncertenty (=freedom) (40 - (13+4+11+1) = 8, and started counting from the top, marking anything greater then 8, once you finished all members of the column, you should be left, again, with 8 freedom cells. This serves as a sanity check you have calculated and marked correctly.
If later on you were able to add any extra white space into such a column (say, for this column - the lowest black with two white spaces above), the symmetryis broken / you're left with only 7 freedom cells at the bottom, meaning the column needs updating (adding a black square to each sequence upwards)

So, if you calculated the freedom after marking the two white spaces at the bottom, you just miscalculated 8 instead of 7; if you added a white spot later, you did not update the column...

Since you are doing these horific 65x40 (for which I have litle patience) I assume you already know this - but just so it is documented... (for others too)

Thank god for Internet friends like Charlene (I didn't spot your post until she answered it)

Arik

< Message edited by arik_iis -- 1/3/2015 8:09:46 AM >

(in reply to vessago)
Post #: 6
RE: Stuck on a Very Hard PicAPix - 1/5/2015 12:24:01 AM   
debragordon18

Can someone please help? I am having a hard time with a puzzle and wondered if I could take a picture of it and email it for help. Thank you so much in advance!

(in reply to CharleneTX)
Post #: 7
RE: Stuck on a Very Hard PicAPix - 1/5/2015 12:35:16 AM   
debragordon18

Attached is a puzzle I am stuck on! Don't see the next move. I am a beginner and would appreciate help! Thank you so much in advance!

(in reply to debragordon18)
Post #: 8
RE: Stuck on a Very Hard PicAPix - 1/5/2015 12:41:24 AM   
debragordon18

here is the puzzle! thank you!

Post #: 9
RE: Stuck on a Very Hard PicAPix - 1/5/2015 2:24:34 AM   
CharleneTX

We'd be happy to help you, but the file didn't attach. Are you clicking "Click here to upload!"? Are you getting any sort of error message?

Charlene

Post #: 10
RE: Stuck on a Very Hard PicAPix - 1/5/2015 3:26:52 AM   
debragordon18

Yes, Charlene, thank you so much! I am unable to upload the picture of my puzzle as it says that the file is too large. Suggestions? I can email it as an attachment if that is possible?

(in reply to CharleneTX)
Post #: 11
RE: Stuck on a Very Hard PicAPix - 1/5/2015 4:45:22 AM   
CharleneTX

How are you creating the picture? What format are you saving it in?

Charlene

Post #: 12
RE: Stuck on a Very Hard PicAPix - 1/5/2015 4:33:10 PM   
debragordon18

Hi Charlene! I actually took a picture of it with my phone and save it as a jpeg. Suggestion? Thank you.

(in reply to CharleneTX)
Post #: 13
RE: Stuck on a Very Hard PicAPix - 1/6/2015 4:01:22 AM   
CharleneTX

Try taking a screen shot instead: http://www.take-a-screenshot.org/

Then, if it's still too large you can crop it in a graphics editor such as Paint.

Charlene

Post #: 14
RE: Stuck on a Very Hard PicAPix - 1/6/2015 11:16:25 AM   
vessago

Thanks for the help CharleneTX and arik!

Nice catch, I was able to get 4 squares. The problem is that I thought I had missed a critical point which would function as a bridge for further progress, but they don't seem to help much. That puzzle is just too hard for me.

(in reply to CharleneTX)
Post #: 15
RE: Stuck on a Very Hard PicAPix - 1/6/2015 4:26:59 PM   
debragordon18

I think it worked, Charlene! Thank you so much! Will look forward to your help. I know I am missing some strategies (

(in reply to CharleneTX)
Post #: 16
RE: Stuck on a Very Hard PicAPix - 1/6/2015 4:31:07 PM   
debragordon18

I uploaded it and it says it worked but I don't see it! I am sorry for making this so difficult!

(in reply to CharleneTX)
Post #: 17
RE: Stuck on a Very Hard PicAPix - 1/6/2015 7:17:29 PM   
arik_iis

...so let's make sure you go through all steps:

I assume you start by clicking "post reply", which opens the posting window for you, in which you type your answer.
To add the screenshot you've saved, you then click on the bottom left "click here to upload" (and please also checkmark the "embed picture in post")
Another window opens for you, in which you click the 'select file' - this opens another window in which you navigate to where you saved the screenshot file, click on it (and click 'open' at the bottom) - this returnes you to the window of s"select file", and after a few seconds it will say if it succeeded to upload. I assume it did. Then you need to click the OK at the bottom of that window, and it closes.
then you are back to the posting window, finish writing whatever you want (you do not see the picture yet) and click the OK at the bottom

After it is done, if you return to see your message, you will now see it with the picture

Good luck!

Arik

Attachment (1)

Post #: 18
RE: Stuck on a Very Hard PicAPix - 1/6/2015 8:42:16 PM   
debragordon18

Let's try this!

Attachment (1)

(in reply to arik_iis)
Post #: 19
RE: Stuck on a Very Hard PicAPix - 1/6/2015 8:44:47 PM   
debragordon18

It worked! Thank you very much! Will look forward to input as to how to proceed with puzzle. Appreciate all strategy help!!

(in reply to arik_iis)
Post #: 20
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [PUZZLE FANS] >> Puzzle Support >> Stuck on a Very Hard PicAPix Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode