Conceptis Forums

Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List 

Average time in statistics?

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [PUZZLE FANS] >> The Puzzle Room >> Average time in statistics? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Average time in statistics? - 5/24/2013 12:07:37 AM   
joopa

Every puzzle id has an info page where you can see average time users have taken to solve the puzzle. I have a bunch of questions regarding this average time.

1. Shouldn't this be median time instead? Users leaving puzzle window open and going idle will easily skew the resulting average.

2. Does it take into account what helpful tools the player has used? For example using the 3x3 Smart-fill cursor to automatically paint multiple tiles in Fill-a-PiX makes solving the puzzle much faster.

3. What about cheating? These puzzles are made to be solved with logic, but does using the error-checking feature invalidate solving time
3.1. When used by repeatedly checking for correct answers?
3.2. When used at all?

My personal solving times are usually much faster than the average time, so this made me question the validity of the average. I use tools and sometimes check for errors out of convenience. When I find error, I undo the latest change and try to find a logical reason to fill the blanks instead.
Post #: 1
RE: Average time in statistics? - 6/19/2013 4:54:03 AM   
chaosmanor

This topic has come up several times in the past, with no resolution, obviously. All of your points are valid, but I think the bottom line is, the timer is really there because more people expect to see a timer than not. I wouldn't worry too much about it, especially as the fastest and slowest times are not published, despite several requests to do so. Showing those two times would make the "average" a little more relevant.

(in reply to joopa)
Post #: 2
RE: Average time in statistics? - 7/10/2013 6:42:06 AM   
westharden

All of your points are valid, but I think the bottom line is, the timer is really there because more people expect to see a timer than not. I wouldn't worry too much about it, especially as the fastest and slowest times are not published, despite several requests to do so.
wow gold cheap
runescape guide

cheapest wow gold
Cheap Runescape Gold

(in reply to chaosmanor)
Post #: 3
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [PUZZLE FANS] >> The Puzzle Room >> Average time in statistics? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts