Conceptis Forums

Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List 

Pic-a-Pix weekly puzzle. Unsolvable?

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [PUZZLE FANS] >> Puzzle Support >> Pic-a-Pix weekly puzzle. Unsolvable? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Pic-a-Pix weekly puzzle. Unsolvable? - 9/16/2017 9:33:19 AM   
Brerbunny

Hello all!
I'm a new member to the forum. Nice to join in.
I'm stuck on the freebee puzzle released last weekend (2017-09-08) on the iPad app Pic-a-pix. It's a Colour 20x30 Medium Plus. It's the first time I've found a puzzle which appears unsolvable using logic within app. The only way I can see of solving it is by trial and error.
Am I missing something or have other players found the same?
Yours sincerely
Brerbunny
Post #: 1
RE: Pic-a-Pix weekly puzzle. Unsolvable? - 9/16/2017 9:53:32 AM   
arik_iis

...since not all of us solve the same ones, and not all of us want to purchase a puzzle 'just to help', pleas attach a screen shot of the puzzle state you're stuck at... (you can see in previous posts)

Please note the forum tool has a limitation of the size - make sure it is under 200K in size...

Good luck !

Arik

(in reply to Brerbunny)
Post #: 2
RE: Pic-a-Pix weekly puzzle. Unsolvable? - 9/16/2017 10:37:12 AM   
arik_iis

...got onto my cellular, opened the picAPix app, updated for the 'weekly bonus' and found something which might fit your description - please see attached screen shot, and tell me if it is this one.

If it is, and since you did not say where you got stuck, I ASSUME that you did not find a starting point (but remember: assume makes an ASS out of U and ME - so spell it out if this is not your question)

For starts, indeed, you do not find the clue from just looking at the number values . . .
but then' if you look again on the COLORS... look on the 1st column: it starts with a Black 5.
Look on the rows - only the top 7 have a Black clue at the beginning, while all other rowa start with different colors...
So, clue of 5 into the top 7 rows = "freedom" (uncertainty) degree of 2 (7-5), so you know that column 1, rows 3,4 and 5 have to be Black squares.

Hope I got you started - and if we failed on the assumption, please spell out where you are stuck...

Happy puzzling !

Arik

Attachment (1)

(in reply to arik_iis)
Post #: 3
RE: Pic-a-Pix weekly puzzle. Unsolvable? - 9/18/2017 10:20:04 PM   
Brerbunny

Hello Arik,

Sorry, I couldn't post images from my iPad.
You had the right puzzle, but I've made quite a bit of progress on it.

I've now signed on on my laptop and here's the image:

Yours, Brer

Attachment (1)

(in reply to arik_iis)
Post #: 4
RE: Pic-a-Pix weekly puzzle. Unsolvable? - 9/20/2017 11:08:20 PM   
Ahlyis

Just because I'm feeling kinda nitpicky...

quote:

ORIGINAL: arik_iis

Look on the rows - only the top 7 have a Black clue at the beginning, while all other rowa start with different colors...

Technically, rows 15, 16 and 17 also start with black. But since the first column needs 5 and those only make for 3, they won't work... but they DO start with black! ;)

(in reply to arik_iis)
Post #: 5
RE: Pic-a-Pix weekly puzzle. Unsolvable? - 9/21/2017 5:41:57 PM   
Brerbunny

Yes, I've found out where the 5 blacks go in column 1 and have found out where the blacks start in rows 15,16 & 17.

I've got as far as the image I've posted above but now I'm stumped!

(in reply to Ahlyis)
Post #: 6
RE: Pic-a-Pix weekly puzzle. Unsolvable? - 9/23/2017 3:55:11 AM   
hok0003

In column 17 you need another 2 black squares. There are 4 rows in which they can go: 10-13.
If they're in 12-13, then column 16 will have a black square in row 12 and not in row 13, so must also have one in row 11.
If they're in 10-11 or 11-12, then again column 16 row 11 will be black, so this square can be filled in.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Brerbunny)
Post #: 7
RE: Pic-a-Pix weekly puzzle. Unsolvable? - 9/25/2017 8:22:34 AM   
arik_iis

Oh, yes. I love hok0003's analysis, and agree with the conclusion. Hope it gets you rolling again...

I have copied your status onto my cellphone, and also marked the numbers/clues which were used, to make it easier to recognize what still needs to be done, but unfortunately it expired on me before I finished all of it... so am attaching a partially updated screenshot of your situation, in which I was able to identify one more black square - but don't think it will help further:
row 23 has black 2 and 1 to be filled; since columns 12 & 13 have Brown clues at their end (marked Blue Xs where the Brown will be), the black squares have only columns 7 to 11 = 5 squares to fit in. So, black squares 2+1(+1 space)=4, meaning one degree of freedom, meaning column 8 (row 23) has to be Black (marked with Blue circle).
no big deal, but now without the puzzle on the app, I am not sure I'll be able to help more (and I hope after hok0003's help, you wouldn't need more/
Good luck, Brer - tell us if it worked for you, or got stuck again...

P.S. after playing on your cellular/tablet, can you load the status also onto the PC / continue playing on the PC?

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by arik_iis -- 9/25/2017 8:25:16 AM >

(in reply to hok0003)
Post #: 8
RE: Pic-a-Pix weekly puzzle. Unsolvable? - 9/26/2017 4:59:21 PM   
Brerbunny

Thank you both!

Of course, now you've shown me, it makes sense! I think I was just going number blind!

I'll see how much further I can get and give you both an update when I can!

Very much appreciate your help!

Brer Bunny

(in reply to arik_iis)
Post #: 9
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [PUZZLE FANS] >> Puzzle Support >> Pic-a-Pix weekly puzzle. Unsolvable? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode