Conceptis Forums

Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List 

Do Fill-a-Pix always come down to trial and error.

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [PUZZLE FANS] >> Puzzle Support >> Do Fill-a-Pix always come down to trial and error. Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Do Fill-a-Pix always come down to trial and error. - 1/17/2014 8:57:32 PM   
impycat

If you do the Hard level Fill-a-Pix I cannot find any other solution to finishing them other than trial and error. In the instructions is says you should never guess, that there are always clues to determining if any square is filled in or not. But when you get the puzzle about 2/3 filled in I can find no other solution than to take a 50/50 square and try it out either filled in or not. Have others found that to be the case or am I just not seeing the clues?
Post #: 1
RE: Do Fill-a-Pix always come down to trial and error. - 1/18/2014 3:08:30 AM   
CharleneTX

You shouldn't have to guess to solve the puzzle. If you get stuck, put it away for a day. Sometimes looking at it with fresh eyes will help you see something you missed. And you can always post a screenshot in the forums and ask for help.

--Charlene

(in reply to impycat)
Post #: 2
RE: Do Fill-a-Pix always come down to trial and error. - 1/18/2014 3:56:09 AM   
jenmc226

There's always a clue. Post one where you're stuck and ready to guess and we'll give you some tips.

(in reply to CharleneTX)
Post #: 3
RE: Do Fill-a-Pix always come down to trial and error. - 1/19/2014 3:32:26 PM   
Shagsbeard

There are a few advanced theorems I've constructed out of being stuck... and that's the real reward for rejecting trial and error.

(in reply to jenmc226)
Post #: 4
RE: Do Fill-a-Pix always come down to trial and error. - 1/19/2014 3:39:05 PM   
dave

If you are stuck, you can post the screenshot on this forum and I'm sure someone will explain the next step. There is always a next step using logic alone.

Thanks, Dave

(in reply to Shagsbeard)
Post #: 5
RE: Do Fill-a-Pix always come down to trial and error. - 1/19/2014 3:50:15 PM   
rmkujawa

I'm with Charlene on the "walk away & come back later" method. Sometimes you need to look at it with fresh eyes.

(in reply to dave)
Post #: 6
RE: Do Fill-a-Pix always come down to trial and error. - 1/20/2014 11:29:16 AM   
Bixarrio

Yes, there's always a clue. I used to "trial & error" and just knew it's not the way to go. Then one day my eyes opened.

Check out the logical starting points document here, as well as a document I wrote 10 years ago regarding pairs of numbers here. Ignore page one, as well as the email address in the document. Like I said, I wrote it 10 years ago.

These help when you get stuck, but sometimes the puzzles are really, really difficult. I've been staring at a 100x60 (ID: 03290100059) for a long time (years, although it says 34 hours 23 minutes) now, and I'm nowhere near done. Yet, I refuse to "trial & error" because I know there's a clue in there somewhere.

Good luck, and happy FAP'ing

< Message edited by Bixarrio -- 1/20/2014 11:52:32 AM >

(in reply to rmkujawa)
Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [PUZZLE FANS] >> Puzzle Support >> Do Fill-a-Pix always come down to trial and error. Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts