Conceptis Forums

Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List 

First Sudoku Board game?

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [PUZZLE FANS] >> Puzzle Support >> First Sudoku Board game? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
First Sudoku Board game? - 11/9/2010 11:57:54 AM   
essex_uk

I need some help!
I am doing some research for a colleague, who is looking to establish the first board game version of
Sudoku. What was it called, who produced it and more importantly when?

I am aware that Kod Kod International Games, the marketing operations brand of Lemada Light Industries Ltd produced "Code Sudoku" around Aug 2005, was this the first board game version?

The very first board game version may have been produced under it's original name "Number Place".

Hope someone out there can help.
Post #: 1
RE: First Sudoku Board game? - 11/9/2010 5:25:22 PM   
dave

At the time Kod Kod released their Code Sudoku board game there were already several other board games on the market. However, I don't remember which ones. On the other hand, I doubt there was ever a board game released under the name Number Place since before the Sudoku boom in 2005 there was no interest in the West in these puzzles.

Hope this helps

Thanks, Dave

(in reply to essex_uk)
Post #: 2
RE: First Sudoku Board game? - 11/9/2010 7:02:12 PM   
essex_uk

Thanks for the information Dave.
It would be great to establish what the earlier board games were called.

Kevin

(in reply to dave)
Post #: 3
RE: First Sudoku Board game? - 11/18/2010 5:39:57 PM   
chaosmanor

You might put out a request for help at this website: www.boardgamegeek.com.
The regulars there seem to know just about everything there is to know about board games, going back into the 19th Century, at least. The editors at Games Magazine might also be able to help; at the least, they might be able to point you in the right direction. 

As for Dave's assertion that there was no interest in the West for Number Place, he was being a little hyperbolic; I was solving them back in the 1960s, when I was a teenager.  I went out of my way to look at every new issue of any Dell puzzle magazines, to see if Number Place was included, and I almost always bought any magazine that had them.  OK, that's just one person, but that's still more than none   

(in reply to essex_uk)
Post #: 4
RE: First Sudoku Board game? - 11/19/2010 2:48:40 AM   
dave

Hi chaosmanor

You are right, I should have said "much lower interest compared to 2005". Your suggestion of asking the editors at Games is very good. I'll see if Wayne Schmittberger wants to post something here.

Thanks, Dave

(in reply to chaosmanor)
Post #: 5
RE: First Sudoku Board game? - 11/19/2010 6:54:09 AM   
essex_uk

Thanks for the advise folks. I'll try the tips suggested.
Kevin

(in reply to dave)
Post #: 6
RE: First Sudoku Board game? - 11/19/2010 11:19:21 PM   
sharonella

quote:

ORIGINAL: chaosmanor

As for Dave's assertion that there was no interest in the West for Number Place, he was being a little hyperbolic; I was solving them back in the 1960s, when I was a teenager.  I went out of my way to look at every new issue of any Dell puzzle magazines, to see if Number Place was included, and I almost always bought any magazine that had them.  OK, that's just one person, but that's still more than none   

I remember number Number Place from the Dell Puzzle magazines, too. Not sure I "discovered" them til the early 70's tho.

(in reply to chaosmanor)
Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [PUZZLE FANS] >> Puzzle Support >> First Sudoku Board game? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts