Do Fill-a-Pix always come down to trial and error. (Full Version)

All Forums >> [PUZZLE FANS] >> Puzzle Support

impycat -> Do Fill-a-Pix always come down to trial and error. (1/17/2014 8:57:32 PM)

If you do the Hard level Fill-a-Pix I cannot find any other solution to finishing them other than trial and error. In the instructions is says you should never guess, that there are always clues to determining if any square is filled in or not. But when you get the puzzle about 2/3 filled in I can find no other solution than to take a 50/50 square and try it out either filled in or not. Have others found that to be the case or am I just not seeing the clues?

CharleneTX -> RE: Do Fill-a-Pix always come down to trial and error. (1/18/2014 3:08:30 AM)

You shouldn't have to guess to solve the puzzle. If you get stuck, put it away for a day. Sometimes looking at it with fresh eyes will help you see something you missed. And you can always post a screenshot in the forums and ask for help.

--Charlene

jenmc226 -> RE: Do Fill-a-Pix always come down to trial and error. (1/18/2014 3:56:09 AM)

There's always a clue. Post one where you're stuck and ready to guess and we'll give you some tips.

Shagsbeard -> RE: Do Fill-a-Pix always come down to trial and error. (1/19/2014 3:32:26 PM)

There are a few advanced theorems I've constructed out of being stuck... and that's the real reward for rejecting trial and error.

dave -> RE: Do Fill-a-Pix always come down to trial and error. (1/19/2014 3:39:05 PM)

If you are stuck, you can post the screenshot on this forum and I'm sure someone will explain the next step. There is always a next step using logic alone.

Thanks, Dave

rmkujawa -> RE: Do Fill-a-Pix always come down to trial and error. (1/19/2014 3:50:15 PM)

I'm with Charlene on the "walk away & come back later" method. Sometimes you need to look at it with fresh eyes.

Bixarrio -> RE: Do Fill-a-Pix always come down to trial and error. (1/20/2014 11:29:16 AM)

Yes, there's always a clue. I used to "trial & error" and just knew it's not the way to go. Then one day my eyes opened.

Check out the logical starting points document here, as well as a document I wrote 10 years ago regarding pairs of numbers here. Ignore page one, as well as the email address in the document. Like I said, I wrote it 10 years ago.

These help when you get stuck, but sometimes the puzzles are really, really difficult. I've been staring at a 100x60 (ID: 03290100059) for a long time (years, although it says 34 hours 23 minutes) now, and I'm nowhere near done. Yet, I refuse to "trial & error" because I know there's a clue in there somewhere.

Good luck, and happy FAP'ing

Page: [1]

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode