Conceptis Forums

Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List 

Getting started on Cross-a-pix

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [PUZZLE FANS] >> Puzzle Support >> Getting started on Cross-a-pix Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Getting started on Cross-a-pix - 2/24/2019 1:09:21 AM   
caryandthehits

I'm stumped on this week's cross-a-pix (ID:32090100538). How do you get started?
Post #: 1
RE: Getting started on Cross-a-pix - 2/25/2019 11:51:04 PM   
Ahlyis

Row 15 needs 6. One of the pieces would fill 7, so that piece must be eliminated.

It isn't much and doesn't look to lead anywhere, but that is literally the first move that I see.

(in reply to caryandthehits)
Post #: 2
RE: Getting started on Cross-a-pix - 2/25/2019 11:56:17 PM   
Ahlyis

Turns out, it does lead somewhere.

After eliminating that block, look at column 35. You need 16 there and every remaining block except for 1 has an even number of squares for that column. You can eliminate the block with the odd number of squares.

Once you do that, column 37 will have several blocks you can fill.

Hope that helps.

(in reply to Ahlyis)
Post #: 3
RE: Getting started on Cross-a-pix - 2/28/2019 6:51:41 PM   
Ahlyis

I have now completed both the 40x30 Medium Plus from this topic as well as the Very Hard from this same week...

I have no clue how Conceptis decides their ratings since they have stated previously that it is not by size. Honestly, just by size is the only way I can see that these two ratings were arrived at. I'm not necessarily against rating them by size. It is just that Conceptis says that that is NOT how they are done.

The 40x30 medium plus took me 2 hours 34 minutes and the average is currently listed as 2 hours 51 minutes.

The 65x40 very hard took me 1 hour 16 minutes and the average is currently listed as 1 hour 27 minutes.

So, half the time to solve a much larger puzzle for both myself and the average solver, yet the larger puzzle is rated to be much much harder.

Anyone got an explanation? Or do you agree that the explanation is that they were rated by size despite Conceptis denying that's how they do ratings?

Just curious.

(in reply to Ahlyis)
Post #: 4
RE: Getting started on Cross-a-pix - 2/28/2019 7:52:46 PM   
caryandthehits

Ah! Thank you, thank you!

(in reply to Ahlyis)
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [PUZZLE FANS] >> Puzzle Support >> Getting started on Cross-a-pix Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode