Conceptis Forums

Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List 

Weird cursor problem

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [PUZZLE FANS] >> Technical Support >> Weird cursor problem Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Weird cursor problem - 10/22/2016 2:11:26 PM   
theangeljean

Hi, I'm having a weird problem with the cursor showing up in the wrong place, since yesterday.

The cursor seems to detect as being horizontally translated compared to its actual position on the screen.

It's difficult to show what I mean in screenshots as windows screenshot doesn't show the cursor, but it occurs in all puzzles. It's easiest to explain using a picture of a Cross-a-Pix where the cursor is being rendered in flash.

In the attached picture, I have moved the cursor inwards from the right hand side of the window. I have added a black dot to the screenshot to show the actual position of the cursor. As I move it right to lef, it shows the "image resize" cursor as I pass over the edge of the window. Then as I move it further in, it immediately disappears (rather than showing up over the pale purple border around the puzzle) and the pencil cursor appears in the position highlighted in the puzzle (intersection of the "30 6" horizontal line and the "18 6" vertical line. So in the screenshot shown, as far as the rest of the screen is concerned, the cursor is actually one pixel inside the window at the location of the black dot.

The pencil cursor then moves as I move the mouse. But that means that when I move the pencil cursor any further to the right of that column, it disappears, and reappears outside the window on the right, in its "actual" position.

This happens in all of my puzzles, sometimes to the left of the cursor position as here, and sometimes slightly to the right and down instead. It also affects the toolbar at the top.

There is a workaround: If I resize the puzzle window bigger, the whole window contents stretch. Then when I mouse over the puzzle area, after a short delay the puzzle frame and toolbar frame go back to their normal size, but with the puzzle frame in the middle of the screen. Then the cursor works properly.

I am using Windows 10 Pro with the latest updates (Oct 2016). I am using Firefox

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by theangeljean -- 10/22/2016 2:46:15 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: Weird cursor problem - 10/22/2016 2:42:18 PM   
theangeljean

Whoops, I accidentally closed the window before finishing with the technical information.

I am using Firefox 49.0.2 and Flash version 23,0,0,185.

The reference Pic-a-Pix page loads as shown in the post. The cursor behaves normally.

When I load the first Pic-a-Pix the puzzle appears as normal. However the cursor behaviour is the same as above. I have included a screenshot with further details:

In the picture below, the cursor is actually at the black dot.

When I move the cursor further right from this position, it would normally move over the side frames of the puzzle, where "13 1 2 1 1 1" are shown. In this case it disappears and the normal "windows pointer" cursor appears just to the left of where the black dot is. The puzzle continues to act as if I had the mouse cursor over the side frames - I can select the numbers in the side frames by clicking on them, but the cursor doesn't show me which number I am "mousing over". So for example, I can select and click the last "1" of the "13 1 2 1 1 1" number when my cursor shows as being over the intersection of that row and the "1 1 5 1 1 2" column.

Also, in this small puzzle window the whole of the puzzle frame can be reached with the pencil cursor - because the cursor 'translation' seems to be equivalent to the gap between the edge of the window and the edge of the puzzle. So when I move the cursor onto the window from the right, after turning into the "resize window" cursor it disappears and instantly appears at the right edge of the puzzle - it never appears within the purple border. Seems to be a coincidence with this size of puzzle - it's a different gap in other sized puzzles.

I get even weirder behaviour when moving from a non-Firefox window onto that puzzle window (such as Paint.net I am using to edit the screenshots). In this case the "resize window" cursor doesn't disappear when the pencil cursor appears, but floats around in its "actual" position, so I have two cursors, the pencil cursor to the left of the resize window cursor.

I have Java Script allowed.
I allow cookies but not third-party cookies.
I have Norton 360 installed and I'm not sure if the Firewall feature is active.

If you need any more long-winded explanations I'm your girl.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to theangeljean)
Post #: 2
RE: Weird cursor problem - 10/22/2016 3:06:04 PM   
motoring

Had the same problem. Seem to have solved it by using a different browser. Was using latest version of Firefox,
tried Microsoft Edge and it is all as it should be.

Don't understand why!

Changing browser when I want to visit Conceptis will be a slight faff, but at least I shan't get frustrated
with an unsynchronized and misbehaving cursor.

Post #: 3
RE: Weird cursor problem - 10/22/2016 9:04:06 PM   
Gorrowsel

Actually, when I moved to Microsoft Edge (yuk, yuk!) it only 'mostly' solved it. The Fill-a-Pix puzzle I am trying to solve, now clicks where the cursor is, but when I select the 3x3 tool (to fill in all around the central square), the red square appears in the middle of the puzzle and will not move unless I use the arrow keys. And then I cannot make it actually fill anything in. Clicking the mouse still only changes the square that the arrow cursor is pointing to.

I think I upgraded my Adobe flash player just before everything went wrong, so I am wondering if that has anything to do with it. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem possible to reset my Adobe player back to what it was to confirm.

Edit: Just checked and it is the same story as Edge with Chrome.

Also to confirm, I am using Firefox 49.0.2 and adobe flash player 23.0.0.185.

< Message edited by Gorrowsel -- 10/22/2016 11:05:34 PM >

(in reply to motoring)
Post #: 4
RE: Weird cursor problem - 10/23/2016 8:59:20 AM   
theangeljean

Ahh. Does the resizing window trick work for anyone else? (See first post)

(in reply to Gorrowsel)
Post #: 5
RE: Weird cursor problem - 10/23/2016 8:16:58 PM   
Gorrowsel

Yes, it does work for me. And I thank you for the tip.

Post #: 6
RE: Weird cursor problem - 10/24/2016 5:21:10 PM   
AxezCore

I have the same problem in link-a-pix using firefox, resizing doesn't help sadly. It works fine in MS Edge.

(in reply to Gorrowsel)
Post #: 7
RE: Weird cursor problem - 10/25/2016 2:36:52 PM   
dave

Firefox 49.0.2, released on October 20, enables a feature called “Asynchronous drawing” which has a bug. When playing Conceptis online puzzles this bug causes problems such as wrong location of mouse pointer, slow response of mouse movement and more. Here is what you can do:

1) Use a different browser such as Internet Explorer, Edge, Chrome, Safari.

Or

2) Try resizing or refreshing (CTRL-F5) the puzzle window after opening a puzzle.

Or

3) Disable the Firefox feature which causes this problem:
- In Firefox address bar enter:
about:config
- Accept the risk warning
- Search for:
dom.ipc.plugins.asyncdrawing.enabled
- Turn the value of this feature to “false” by double-clicking on it

This is not the first time Firefox have problems with Flash and we expect they will provide an update with a fix. So please check from time to time if a new version has been updated.

(in reply to AxezCore)
Post #: 8
RE: Weird cursor problem - 10/26/2016 3:25:14 AM   
FlyOnTheWall

Thanks for the update! I normally use Firefox and had the same problem, but I did get Conceptis puzzles to work in Edge(but I don't like how they look there). Good to know what's going on, and I hope Firefox fixes it soon.

Anne

(in reply to dave)
Post #: 9
RE: Weird cursor problem - 10/27/2016 11:26:12 AM   
theangeljean

Thanks very much for the reply, dave. I will look out for an update.

Do you need us to put in a Firefox bug report, or upvote one you've put in?

Jean

(in reply to FlyOnTheWall)
Post #: 10
RE: Weird cursor problem - 10/28/2016 7:00:21 PM   
dave

I think Mozilla are already aware:)

Thanks, Dave

Post #: 11
RE: Weird cursor problem - 10/30/2016 10:47:44 AM   
theangeljean

I haven't had a Firefox update as far as I know, but the problem seems to be fixed once I updated Adobe Flash to 23,0,0,205.

(in reply to dave)
Post #: 12
RE: Weird cursor problem - 11/6/2016 1:50:20 PM   
MED401

Dave's solution didn't work but updating Flash did. I don't know perhaps you have to do both.

Post #: 13
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [PUZZLE FANS] >> Technical Support >> Weird cursor problem Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode