Conceptis Forums

Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List 

Dot-a-Pix

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [PUZZLE FANS] >> The Puzzle Room >> Dot-a-Pix Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Dot-a-Pix - 12/5/2010 1:31:19 AM   
Diccon

Although by no means a fan of Dot-a-Pix puzzles (which, I assume, are mainly intended for our younger comrades), I happened to do one in an idle moment the other day.

Now call me old-fashioned, but the entertainment value of these puzzles used to be mostly in the admiration of the skill of the setter in getting a decent picture out of a single line that did not cross. Now I find that both of these basic rules are flouted and, despite this, the quality of the picture is poor.

Ho-hum, that's progress, I suppose.

Diccon
Post #: 1
RE: Dot-a-Pix - 12/5/2010 7:57:11 PM   
dave

Hi Diccon

There is no universal rule that lines in dot-to-dot puzzles should never cross. By allowing line crossings (as well as multi-lines) one can achieve better visual effects as well as making the location of the next dot less predictable.  Still, with all the above, we strive to make our pictures high quality. Please let us know which puzzle you refer to so we can do better next time.

Thanks, Dave

(in reply to Diccon)
Post #: 2
RE: Dot-a-Pix - 12/5/2010 8:11:30 PM   
lekahe

Hi Dave,

I agree with Diccon. The only DAP I have solved this week is 05390100325 and the crossing lines are not what bothers me, but the colors messing up at the same time. It's not really your usual quality

Leena

(in reply to dave)
Post #: 3
RE: Dot-a-Pix - 12/6/2010 12:12:56 AM   
Diccon

Hi Dave

The one I have in mind is 05390100325. Note particularly where the black hair is supposed to obscure the deer and the dress where it crosses the leg of the nymph. If one is going to use broken lines, you might as well break them in the correct places. Altogether a very unpleasing picture.

Regards
Diccon

(in reply to dave)
Post #: 4
RE: Dot-a-Pix - 12/6/2010 2:59:11 AM   
z287marc

Here is the area being referred to:

The brown line connecting dots 326 to 330 is "showing" through the black hair. Dot 327 should have been a star located on the line connecting dots 116 and 117. The new line would start on dot 330 with this dot being located on the line between dots 120 and 121. These changes would properly "hide" the deer behind the hair.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by z287marc -- 12/6/2010 3:00:44 AM >

(in reply to Diccon)
Post #: 5
RE: Dot-a-Pix - 12/6/2010 6:43:36 AM   
lekahe

Thanks for the screenshot z287marc :)

I counted on Dave being able to solve the puzzle himself

There is also the small area where the leg and the dress meet.

Just for reference I solved all of this weeks DAPs. The B/W were excellent and the crossing lines made the small puzzle just excellent!
The other color puzzle was good also, but even there I wondered about one crossing line.

Leena

(in reply to z287marc)
Post #: 6
RE: Dot-a-Pix - 12/6/2010 7:16:33 PM   
dave

You guys are absolutely right! I could also find several other places in this picture which are either graphically wrong or which could be substantially improved. Seems we need a serious talk with the art department. In the meantime please continue informing us whenever you find pictures below the quality you expect.

Thanks, Dave

(in reply to lekahe)
Post #: 7
RE: Dot-a-Pix - 12/23/2010 4:31:18 PM   
shriramit

Dear solvers,
puzzle 05390100325 discussed here actually presented a special style in which lines cross each other (so that some elements seems transparent). However, since most of you did not like this style, we will try to avoid it in the future.
Best,
Amit

(in reply to Diccon)
Post #: 8
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [PUZZLE FANS] >> The Puzzle Room >> Dot-a-Pix Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message