Conceptis Forums

Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List 

New Pic-a-Pix Changes

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [PUZZLE FANS] >> Technical Support >> New Pic-a-Pix Changes Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
New Pic-a-Pix Changes - 6/9/2010 10:12:13 PM   
bobbit

I like the new addition of the green lines and auto removal of completed rows.  However, I am only seeing this capability with the horizontal rows, not the vertical. 

Additionally, it seems the ruler lines have become more pronounced, which is actually making me motion sick when I am moving around the puzzle.  I turned them off, but I was wondering if there would be a way to go to a thinner line (I tried all the other colors of rule lines with the same result).
Post #: 1
RE: New Pic-a-Pix Changes - 6/9/2010 10:21:28 PM   
dave

Hi bobbit

It should work with both horizontal rows and vertical columns. If you're having a problem, please try to clear your cache.

Regarding ruler lines, let's wait and see what is the general consensus. Technically it isn't difficult to add a thick/thin option in the Preferences.

Thanks, Dave

(in reply to bobbit)
Post #: 2
RE: New Pic-a-Pix Changes - 6/9/2010 10:31:28 PM   
bobbit

Clearing the cache fixed the vertical problem.  Thanks.

(in reply to dave)
Post #: 3
RE: New Pic-a-Pix Changes - 6/10/2010 3:03:32 AM   
Talihoe

Dave,

For the record I prefer the bolder ruler lines.  The thinner lines seem to fade out of sight and I usually can't see them regardless of the color selected.

It's nice to see the red and green arrows back.

Patti

(in reply to dave)
Post #: 4
RE: New Pic-a-Pix Changes - 6/10/2010 3:32:02 AM   
lms21

I find the new ruler lines very distracting.  I changed my preferences to not show the full ruler, but I would rather have the option of thinner lines.

I love having the green and red arrows back, and I'm looking forward to some of the other improvements you're planning.

Linda

(in reply to Talihoe)
Post #: 5
RE: New Pic-a-Pix Changes - 6/10/2010 9:23:42 AM   
MED401

I agree that the ruler lines were too faint before but now I think you went too far the other way.  They're just too bright and bold.  Tone them down a little bit.    I do like the auto checking of completed lines and clues checked off when lines are completed, those are nice.

Now on to my problem.  The functionality of mouse dragging worked just fine for me before, now it's very glitchy.  It will work in one column but not another for example.  Or it will fill a column with dots or squares but will only remove dots in one sweep.  The squares I need to go back and remove individually.  I have cleared my cache and cookies and have restarted my computer tonight as well(updates).  I know I could use undo but I prefer to click the boxes myself.  It gives me a chance to look at what I did wrong.

(in reply to lms21)
Post #: 6
RE: New Pic-a-Pix Changes - 6/11/2010 11:23:43 PM   
CharleneTX

I, too, am having a problem with the bolder lines. Something about it is making me motion sick.

Mouse dragging seems to have a problem. It works fine for empty squares, but when trying to change the status of a filled square (solid or dot), I have to click each one individually. I've cleared the cache and that made no difference.

When you complete a row or column the highlighting on the clues is automatically cleared. While I can see this being a good thing for some people, I'd like the option to turn it off. If a wrong click completes a row/column and you undo the mistake, the highlighting doesn't restore to it's previous state. Correcting mistakes is also harder once all the highlighting is gone.

--Charlene

(in reply to bobbit)
Post #: 7
RE: New Pic-a-Pix Changes - 6/12/2010 12:35:56 AM   
dave

Hi Charlene

Thanks for finding the bug when using Undo after completing a line. The checked-off clues should re-appear. We'll fix this soon.

Regarding mouse dragging, we deliberately designed it so you can't drag dots over painted squares (or vice versa) to avoid accidental mistakes. If you want to do this, you first need to clear the squares by dragging an "empty" square (which is allowed). Note that when solving Pic-a-Pix, it is rarely needed to drag dots over painted squares or painted squares over dots.

Thanks, Dave

(in reply to CharleneTX)
Post #: 8
RE: New Pic-a-Pix Changes - 6/12/2010 2:27:33 AM   
Milena

I'm getting used to the new changes and find them generally useful. The bolder ruler lines and triangle colours are a positive change for me as sometimes the thinner ruler lines were hard to see - especially on the larger puzzles. I can't wait for the next changes related to a compact view of the larger puzzles. Though I am having problems with mouse dragging on filled squares as Charlene had, I think I will get used to it.

One improvement I'd really like to see is on color puzzles with yellow squares. When you look to the ends of the grid to see how many yellow squares have been filled, it is really hard to see the yellow numbers against the grey background (or white background in the rulers). Blank square numbers are shown as a grey number set against a little white square so its easy to see. I'd suggest a small darker coloured square that the yellow number can sit in.

Otherwise, thanks for a great puzzle site!

(in reply to dave)
Post #: 9
RE: New Pic-a-Pix Changes - 6/12/2010 4:03:20 AM   
CharleneTX

quote:

Regarding mouse dragging, we deliberately designed it so you can't drag dots over painted squares (or vice versa) to avoid accidental mistakes. If you want to do this, you first need to clear the squares by dragging an "empty" square (which is allowed). Note that when solving Pic-a-Pix, it is rarely needed to drag dots over painted squares or painted squares over dots.

I often put a dot over a solid and vice versa. This was the first change I noticed.

--Charlene

(in reply to dave)
Post #: 10
RE: New Pic-a-Pix Changes - 6/12/2010 6:26:34 AM   
ariela

I strongly suppory Charlene's request to have the option to NOT clear the clues when line is completed.

(in reply to CharleneTX)
Post #: 11
RE: New Pic-a-Pix Changes - 6/12/2010 10:42:58 PM   
aileencb7

I too do not care for the bolder ruler lines.  Motion sickness is actually an accurate description.  But more than that, the thickness now matches the thickness of the bolder lines that outline the 5x5 boxes within the puzzle.  I consistently use those to count the # of boxes as I autofill.  Now I can't sese them.  Please give us the option of thin vs thick if it's easy to do.

I also agree with Charlene about dragging dots over painted lines.  I noticed that disagreeable change immediately.

Thanks for listening to everyone's feedback!

(in reply to CharleneTX)
Post #: 12
RE: New Pic-a-Pix Changes - 6/14/2010 4:58:12 PM   
lindarossgibson

Is this a bug? When you complete a line, the clue numbers automatically reverse colors. If you go back and delete a square, uncompleting the line, the numbers do not automatically reverse back, which is confusing, so you have to reverse them manually.

(in reply to bobbit)
Post #: 13
RE: New Pic-a-Pix Changes - 6/14/2010 7:02:54 PM   
dave

Hi lindarossgibson

This is how it is supposed to work, that when a row/column is completed all clues are checked-off. If you completed a line and then want to make a change, the best way would be to use Undo first.

Nevertheless, we found that some members don't want the automatic clue check-off when completing rows and columns so we will probably add this feature to the Preferences menu.

Thanks, Dave

(in reply to lindarossgibson)
Post #: 14
RE: New Pic-a-Pix Changes - 6/15/2010 8:08:34 PM   
Ginkgo100

I for one like the squares being marked off when a line is completed. I do NOT like the thicker ruler lines, though. As someone else said, these block the heavier lines between 5x5 squares, making it harder to count. I find the ruler very useful so I don't want to turn it off, but I would prefer the thinner lines. I also do not like the automatic error-checking on completed lines because it feels a little like "cheating" to me. I wish this were not the default setting.

Actually, here is an idea: Most puzzlers have definite preferences, and each of us has the same preferences every time we do a puzzle. I have to change the options at the beginning of every SAP, for instance, because I don't like the default preferences. This can get tedious. How about allowing every logged-in user to set their OWN defaults? I suspect this would be a major change to make, so I would not expect to see it in the near future, but it's something to think about.

(in reply to bobbit)
Post #: 15
RE: New Pic-a-Pix Changes - 6/16/2010 12:47:44 AM   
puzzlewoman_2000

I like the automatic checking of completed lines, and the green and red marks, but I REALLY do not like that if you undo a completed line to fix something, the highlighting does not return to its original state. I find it hard to believe that this was done on purpose? Just my 2 cents.

(in reply to Ginkgo100)
Post #: 16
RE: New Pic-a-Pix Changes - 6/16/2010 1:46:53 AM   
hashier

I haven't found the automatic checking-off of clues on completed lines to be terribly useful.  Isn't the whole point of checking off the clues to help me keep track of partially-completed lines?  It seems to me that the puzzle itself should keep track of which clues I've completed.  If the clues are "2 1 1" and if I fill in a sequence of "empty-filled-filled-empty" then clue "2" should be checked off automatically.  I shouldn't have to do that myself.  I guess what I'm asking for is similar to the way the clues are checked off in Battleship.

(in reply to puzzlewoman_2000)
Post #: 17
RE: New Pic-a-Pix Changes - 6/16/2010 2:22:19 PM   
WERNER

A possible enhancement to pic-a-pix for multi-coloured puzzles: to solve a harder puzzle it is necessary to mark a field as "cannot have colour cccccc" as we do it in black-and-white with the period meaning "cannot have colour black". Playing a puzzle on-line we cannot mark the fields to not be filled in red, blue, green etc altough it would be very usefull.
To the new features in pic-a-pix: I like them, except the bold ruler line as they cover the 5x5 lines

(in reply to hashier)
Post #: 18
RE: New Pic-a-Pix Changes - 6/18/2010 1:04:24 AM   
Milena

Hi Dave

I really appreciate the work that goes into making Conceptis puzzles a better site but I just can't get used to not mouse dragging dots over a line to complete it and instead having to click on each individual square to do so. You can appreciate that on larger puzzles this can mean a fair number of clicks.

I'm confused about your comment that rarely do we need to change a group of colour squares to dots and to drag empty squares over it first. It seems to me that a line is not complete until it is either filled with coloured squares or dots and a dot is produced after first producing a coloured square not by clicking once on a blank square.

Perhaps I'm getting it wrong but this has really changed my enjoyment of PAPs. I dread doing the larger ones now in case a line has a small amount of coloured squres and to complete it and calculate the space left for other grid lines, I have to double click each individual square to make it a dot. If there's another way, I'd love to hear it.

Thanks
Milena

(in reply to dave)
Post #: 19
RE: New Pic-a-Pix Changes - 6/18/2010 7:43:04 AM   
dave

Hi Milena

Both old and new versions allow dragging dots over an entire line. The difference is that in the new version the dots can't override painted squares along the drag. But if you continue dragging past the painted squares you will get dots back again. In other words, if you have painted squares in a line and you want to complete the line with dots, you can click twice in the first empty square and then drag all the way to the end of the line. Only empty squares will be dotted and you can complete the line instantly. In the previous version this was not possible as it would have replaced all painted squares with dots.

What one can't do in the new version is change a block of painted squares into dots in a single drag. However, this is a very rare situation which only happens when making a major error and a small price to pay compared to the above benefits. Also, such situations can be fixed with two drags: first drag to remove the sequence of painted squares and second drag to place the dots.

From tests we ran with several users we found the new dragging method expedites solving and reduces errors of accidentally dragging dots over painted squares.

Hope this explanation helps

Thanks, Dave

(in reply to Milena)
Post #: 20
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [PUZZLE FANS] >> Technical Support >> New Pic-a-Pix Changes Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts