Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List 

Stuck on Pic-a-Pix

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [PUZZLE FANS] >> Puzzle Support >> Stuck on Pic-a-Pix Page: [1]
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Stuck on Pic-a-Pix - 7/14/2015 7:55:53 PM   

I must be missing something obvious, can't figure out the next step on this week's Pic-a-Pix. Help, anyone?

Attachment (1)
Post #: 1
RE: Stuck on Pic-a-Pix - 7/15/2015 12:50:53 AM   

Look again at rows 10 and 11.

Spoiler -- explanation below:

Because the first clue on each row is a 1 and the third square is filled, the second square in the row must be blank.

If the first square is the 1, then the second square must be blank.
If the filled third square is the 1, then the second square must be blank.

For row 11, because the first two clues are 1s, the filled third square must be a 1 (unknown yet whether it's the first or second 1) so the fourth square in that row is blank.

The should break your solving roadblock.

(in reply to Lenokk)
Post #: 2
RE: Stuck on Pic-a-Pix - 7/15/2015 2:15:05 PM   

...and let me add on top of what Charlene has explained another method to find another starting point - looking at the edges, and considering the affect of and edge line on its neighbor.

Look at row 1. You only have a clue of 7.
Look at row 2 - the first clue is 3.

Back to row 1:
If you were to place the 7 filled cells starting at column 1, then the first clues of columns 1 through 7, which are all greater than 1, would create a sequence of 7 filled cells also in row 2. This contradicts the clue of 3 for row 2, and can't happen, so R1C1 (Row1/Column1) must be blank.
This logic will be used again to prove also the next 3 cells in Row1 will be left blank (R1C2, R1C3, R1C4) - I am stopping this logic after 4 squares because by now, skipping the first 4 cells in row 1 means I left enough space in Row2 to complete the first clue of 3, so now I have to consider BOTH clues or Row2, and I don't want to drag you into this.

these 4 blank cells (R1C1-R1C4) mean you will add a filled cell to the ones you marked in Column 3 and 4 (R8C4 and R12C3), and this will add another breakthrough for you...

I realize the above is complex, and I might have not done a good job explaining it, so feel free to ask questions...

Good luck! and happy puzzling !

P.S. If you want to do an exercise, you can continue the above analysis of Row 1 - the actual learning is that you get 5 blank cells on the left side (R1C1 to R1C5), as well as 4 blank cells from the right (R1C17 to R1C20), telling you that R1C9, R1C10, R1C11 are filled...

(in reply to CharleneTX)
Post #: 3
RE: Stuck on Pic-a-Pix - 7/15/2015 6:12:57 PM   

Thank you for that description Arik. It was clear enough for me. It helped solidify a technique which I somewhat grasped before, but didn't really have carefully thought out yet.

(in reply to arik_iis)
Post #: 4
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [PUZZLE FANS] >> Puzzle Support >> Stuck on Pic-a-Pix Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote