Foren

Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List 

low vision help

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [PUZZLE FANS] >> Technical Support >> low vision help Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
low vision help - 5/17/2014 12:12:53 AM   
alexisasha

I have enjoyed doing conceptis puzzles online (and printed and in booklets) for several years now and share your web address with friends and strangers who I may see doing puzzles as they commute -- people often ask ME, too, what I am doing and where they can be obtained.

My current problem is that I have recently been diagnosed with degenerative low vision problems and now find some puzzles difficult to see contrasts. For example, I am wondering whether it is possible to have options for colours or intensity used for the crossed squares in (eg)fill-a-pix. I cannot easily see whether the square is blank or crossed but I think I COULD if the cross were darker or coloured differently from the filled in squares.(There may already be a built-in option which I have not found?)

Thank you for your help and your puzzles.

Sincerely
alexisasha
Post #: 1
RE: low vision help - 5/17/2014 12:27:03 AM   
CharleneTX

You might try various settings on your monitor. I know it makes a big difference on mine. In addition to brightness and contrast, look for a setting for gamma. Tweaking that setting for me is the difference between seeing the squares or not.

--Charlene

(in reply to alexisasha)
Post #: 2
RE: low vision help - 5/17/2014 1:51:51 AM   
alexisasha

Thanks Charlene. Are you using a Windows display -- or Mac like me? I might have to get some help tweaking my settings as I would not know what I was doing. I've had a look but the terminology is not familiar.

(in reply to CharleneTX)
Post #: 3
RE: low vision help - 5/17/2014 2:30:35 AM   
CharleneTX

I'm on a PC and the monitor settings are more dependent on your type of monitor than your operating system.

I did some quick searching and it seems the Mac's settings are dependent on your operating system version. Which version are you running? I found this info for tweaking the settings in OSX: http://ppcluddite.blogspot.com/2010/11/changing-gamma-settings-on-your-mac-os.html

--Charlene

(in reply to alexisasha)
Post #: 4
RE: low vision help - 5/17/2014 3:48:27 AM   
alexisasha

Oh wow -- that was a good article. I am running Snow Leopard (OS 10.6.8). In between posts I had been to the system preferences > color > calibrate. This article then helped me go back armed with some knowledgeable strategy. I will play around with it all and see if it improves the monitor output for me. I can usually handle learning new ideas and procedures -- but these recent vision problems have thrown me into overload so I really appreciate your help.

(in reply to CharleneTX)
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [PUZZLE FANS] >> Technical Support >> low vision help Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote