Foren

Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List 

Stuck on easiest advanced puzzle

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [PUZZLE FANS] >> Puzzle Support >> Stuck on easiest advanced puzzle Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Stuck on easiest advanced puzzle - 9/12/2013 1:34:45 AM   
bichon

Stuck on first puzzle -advanced starters for iPhone. I'm so embarrassed as its only an 8x8

Attachment (1)
Post #: 1
RE: Stuck on easiest advanced puzzle - 9/12/2013 5:06:27 AM   
CharleneTX

No reason to be embarrassed. You just haven't learn the various solving techniques yet.

On two different edges there are an adjacent 3 and 5. There are six possible squares for a number on the edge to fill. For the 5: if three of the squares are taken by the 3, then the other two squares on the opposite side of the 5 are filled. That then makes the two squares on the other side of the 3 blank. This technique works any time adjacent numbers on an edge are different by two (1/3; 2/4; 3/5; 4/6). It's similar to adjacent numbers in the middle of the puzzle being different by three.

I hope this makes sense; I don't know how to edit your screenshot to mark it. If it's not clear, let me know and I'll try again.

(in reply to bichon)
Post #: 2
RE: Stuck on easiest advanced puzzle - 9/12/2013 5:07:08 AM   
CharleneTX

No reason to be embarrassed. You just haven't learn the various solving techniques yet.

On two different edges there are an adjacent 3 and 5. There are six possible squares for a number on the edge to fill. For the 5: if three of the squares are taken by the 3, then the other two squares on the opposite side of the 5 are filled. That then makes the two squares on the other side of the 3 blank. This technique works any time adjacent numbers on an edge are different by two (1/3; 2/4; 3/5; 4/6). It's similar to adjacent numbers in the middle of the puzzle being different by three.

I hope this makes sense; I don't know how to edit your screenshot to mark it. If it's not clear, let me know and I'll try again.

(in reply to bichon)
Post #: 3
RE: Stuck on easiest advanced puzzle - 9/13/2013 1:46:05 PM   
bichon

Thanks so much ! I will study this and get back to you. I'm spending some time away from an Internet connection. So it may take time for another reply or question ,

(in reply to CharleneTX)
Post #: 4
RE: Stuck on easiest advanced puzzle - 9/13/2013 3:21:07 PM   
bichon

Thanks !!!!!
(As I slap myself in the head).

(in reply to CharleneTX)
Post #: 5
RE: Stuck on easiest advanced puzzle - 12/30/2013 9:14:33 PM   
Johnsonjenniferj

Hi Charlene, how do you know that the square directly underneath the 3 is or isn't filled?
Jen

(in reply to bichon)
Post #: 6
RE: Stuck on easiest advanced puzzle - 12/31/2013 3:23:42 AM   
CharleneTX

This puzzle has entirely too many 3s and 5s. :-)

In the explanation, R=row and C=column. I figured out how to mark up the graphic, too.

Jen, I'm assuming you mean the 3s in the first row, yes? (R1:C2 & R1:C4)

Given my explanation in the previous message, squares R1:C6 and R2:C6 are filled. Squares R1:C3 and R2:C3 are blank.

Look at the 5 (R3:C3). The square above it is now blank. It has a 3 below it. Therefore the two blanks above that 5 are filled.

So, the squares directly underneath the 3s in the first row are both filled.

--Charlene

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Johnsonjenniferj)
Post #: 7
RE: Stuck on easiest advanced puzzle - 12/31/2013 1:58:50 PM   
Johnsonjenniferj

Ok I get it now, thanks Charlene!

(in reply to CharleneTX)
Post #: 8
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [PUZZLE FANS] >> Puzzle Support >> Stuck on easiest advanced puzzle Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts