Foren

Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List 

Skyscrapers

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [PUZZLE FANS] >> Puzzle Support >> Skyscrapers Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Skyscrapers - 10/26/2012 5:43:15 PM   
jclarke

I have read the rules and watched the tutorial, and I cannot even begin to understand how this game is played.
Post #: 1
RE: Skyscrapers - 10/27/2012 5:20:09 AM   
lied_ohne_worte

Me neither. I'm not even sure what the "skyscrapers" are supposed to be.

(in reply to jclarke)
Post #: 2
RE: Skyscrapers - 10/27/2012 4:22:44 PM   
z287marc

Think of the game grid as being city blocks as viewed from an airplane or satellite. The numbers indicate the height of the buildings. (1 = low rise, 3 = mid rise, 5 = high rise) The numbers outside the grid indicate the number of buildings you can see from that location. The following examples are for a 5 x 5 grid:

5 > 1 2 3 4 5
3 > 3 2 4 1 5 OR 3 1 4 2 5 OR 3 4 5 1 2 OR 3 4 5 2 1 etc.
2 > 4 5 1 2 3 OR 4 2 3 5 1 OR 4 1 2 3 5 etc.
1 > 5 * * * * where * is any building
Note that the shorter buildings are 'hidden' from view.

(in reply to lied_ohne_worte)
Post #: 3
RE: Skyscrapers - 10/27/2012 9:17:06 PM   
Gatsbi

The way I finally got it and how I work the puzzle is to think of it as a 3-dimensional puzzle and the grid only shows the top size. It's a spatial intelligence type puzzle.

(in reply to z287marc)
Post #: 4
RE: Skyscrapers - 10/27/2012 9:20:56 PM   
Gatsbi

And I think of the numbers as the number of cubes stacked on top of each other at each point.

Then the number on the side is how many columns of cubes you would see in each row if you were looking at the 3-D puzzle from that side.

I think it would help if the instructions and tutorial included some sort of concept-art to show the puzzle from the top and the sides.

(in reply to Gatsbi)
Post #: 5
RE: Skyscrapers - 10/28/2012 4:22:33 AM   
frozenblueberry

Thanks so much everyone!
Knowing that I am viewing the skyscrapers from above makes it all clear :)

(in reply to Gatsbi)
Post #: 6
RE: Skyscrapers - 10/28/2012 9:47:08 AM   
lied_ohne_worte

Oh yes. The top view was what I would have needed in the explanation as well - I thought the number were floor numbers, and I couldn't see that work at all. Perhaps the explanation could be edited to include this?

(in reply to frozenblueberry)
Post #: 7
RE: Skyscrapers - 10/28/2012 10:02:34 PM   
dave

Hi Guys

Thank you all for this discussion. We'll soon add a 3D image which we think will help better understand the rules.

Thanks, Dave

(in reply to lied_ohne_worte)
Post #: 8
RE: Skyscrapers - 10/30/2012 2:03:57 PM   
tdh777

I'm glad someone worked out that it was 3d viewed from above...as for the current explanation, rules and demo, sorry but it's awful WITHOUT THAT CRITICAL BIT OF INFORMATION 

Personally I would think you need some sort of 3d viewer (ie the ability to rotate the view) and have the "buildings" show ..otherwise to get any sort of appreciation of them as being "skyscrapers" is pretty fanciful methinks...

Don't get me wrong, I love conceptis puzzles, but this "skyscrapers" strikes me as something where someone at Conceptis tried to "invent" a new game and the whole thing went off half-cocked. 

Wazza.

(in reply to jclarke)
Post #: 9
RE: Skyscrapers - 10/30/2012 6:31:13 PM   
chaosmanor

quote:

ORIGINAL: tdh777
... this "skyscrapers" strikes me as something where someone at Conceptis tried to "invent" a new game and the whole thing went off half-cocked. 

Actually, I've seen this sort of puzzle before, and at least two years ago. I am pretty sure that this showed up in a National Puzzlers League contest, as well as the International Puzzle Championships. As it was vaguely familiar, I had a bit of an advantage, otherwise, I would have had trouble figuring out what we were supposed to do.

Now if only I was able to actually solve the medium freebies this week No matter what I try, I am forced to use guess-work at some point. This certainly does not make me want to try anything harder! I am not so sure that another clue isn't needed to make the mediums actually "medium".

(in reply to tdh777)
Post #: 10
RE: Skyscrapers - 10/30/2012 7:33:36 PM   
lekahe

I have seen skyscraper puzzles years ago in Janko -website.

The text is in German, but you can use Google Translate. Like the introduction says, they don't know who invented these puzzles. The player on the site has copyright between 2003-2012.

Did you all read at least the basics on skyscraper techniques or check the tutorial. For me the puzzles were challenging, but understandable. I am still working on the hard ones, but I am very excited about them!

Leena

(in reply to chaosmanor)
Post #: 11
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [PUZZLE FANS] >> Puzzle Support >> Skyscrapers Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll