Foren

Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List 

CalcuDoku combinations bug

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [PUZZLE FANS] >> Technical Support >> CalcuDoku combinations bug Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
CalcuDoku combinations bug - 9/28/2010 1:01:29 AM   
Kaeldreth

I'm working on the CalcuDoku puzzle with ID 13090100270 from Sept 3.  This puzzle contains a 14 square group that sums to 50.  Currently for me, whenever my mouse moves over that group, my internet browser freezes for about 30-60 seconds and never shows the results.  While waiting, it should "Transferring data conceptispuzzles.com..." in the status.  Is this related to the changes to the math combination algorithm?
Post #: 1
RE: CalcuDoku combinations bug - 9/28/2010 2:15:48 PM   
gilg

It looks like it might be a cache related problem.
Please try clearing your browser cache, restart browser and recheck?
Thanks,
Gil

(in reply to Kaeldreth)
Post #: 2
RE: CalcuDoku combinations bug - 9/28/2010 2:57:39 PM   
z287marc

I noticed that Calcudoku 13090100325 (Week of Sept 24) also has the 'lock up' problem. This puzzle has a 14 block area with a sum of 38. The freeze up occurs whenever the mouse cursor is moved over this block. Clearing the cache did not help.

(in reply to gilg)
Post #: 3
RE: CalcuDoku combinations bug - 9/28/2010 8:06:10 PM   
gilg

After checking with our tech folks it seems like this might indeed be a bug in the CalcuDoku game.
Thanks for the heads-up @Kaeldreth and @z287marc, we're looking into it! Please stay tuned.
Gil

(in reply to z287marc)
Post #: 4
RE: CalcuDoku combinations bug - 9/29/2010 9:31:22 AM   
dave

We fixed the bug so CalcuDoku puzzles with large Math Combination areas shouldn't cause the games to freeze anymore. However, the Math Combinations feature now shows ALL possible combinations in a block including multiple numbers in the same row/column which are not allowed according to the rules. We are working to fix this but it will take some time.

Thanks, Dave 

(in reply to gilg)
Post #: 5
RE: CalcuDoku combinations bug - 10/5/2010 9:06:28 AM   
Coditor

Any news on fixing this bug of showing all the wrong math combinations? It's really annoying and takes the fun out of trying to solve them...

(in reply to dave)
Post #: 6
RE: CalcuDoku combinations bug - 10/5/2010 7:09:39 PM   
dave

Hi Coditor

We're working on it and boy, this sure is a tough one. The problem is only with the very big blocks where it takes millions of calculations to find which math combinations are legitimate and the Flash application simply can't handle it. We are trying to find ways to optimize the algorithm but this isn't simple at all.

Thanks, Dave

(in reply to Coditor)
Post #: 7
RE: CalcuDoku combinations bug - 10/6/2010 7:02:23 AM   
Coditor

I find it odd that it has once worked in the past but seems so hard to fix now. Anyway, glad you're still working on it.

(in reply to dave)
Post #: 8
RE: CalcuDoku combinations bug - 10/6/2010 6:51:07 PM   
irisuri

The bug occurs in small combinations as well (13190100250 shows as a valid combination for 80 in 1 row 4-4-5). As was mentioned previously it was working great until recently. Good luck!

(in reply to Kaeldreth)
Post #: 9
RE: CalcuDoku combinations bug - 10/7/2010 7:07:42 PM   
Kaeldreth

I'll preface this by stating that I'm a software engineer with no knowledge of your code, so this is all conjecture.

Could it be possible to set a cap on blank spaces to limit the use of the valid combination algorithm on large areas?  The algorithm worked fine except for large numbers of blank spaces, so a short term fix in my mind would be to try and figure out where performance suffers and just show all possibilities at that point.  If enough spaces are filled in, perhaps the valid combo algorithm could be used for the remaining possibilities.

Most likely, it wouldn't affect much because the large areas have too many combinations to display all of them anyway.

(in reply to irisuri)
Post #: 10
RE: CalcuDoku combinations bug - 10/8/2010 12:29:55 PM   
upnaway

wouldnt a simple solution to the algorithm be: whatever is the lowest of the number of rows or number of columns covered by the area is a limit on how many multiples of the same number are allowed in a posible comnination. eg. an area that covers 4 different collumsn and only 2 different rows cant have any more than 2 identical numbers in the combination. It is simple and wont eliminate more complex functions but it works.
One example i noticed from this week was puzzle 13090100327 where a 3x1 area adding to 9 gives a possible combination of 333.

(in reply to Kaeldreth)
Post #: 11
RE: CalcuDoku combinations bug - 10/9/2010 11:00:50 AM   
dave

Thanks to all of you for the helpful suggestions. We will release the fix as soon as we can.

Dave

(in reply to upnaway)
Post #: 12
RE: CalcuDoku combinations bug - 11/16/2010 8:18:24 AM   
gilg

We've just posted a fix to the CalcuDoku Math Combination bug. Please check and let us know if it works for you? Thanks for your helpful feedback!
http://www.conceptispuzzles.com/index.aspx?uri=myconceptis/channel/cal
Gil

(in reply to dave)
Post #: 13
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [PUZZLE FANS] >> Technical Support >> CalcuDoku combinations bug Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode